Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Having a Joyful Advent and Christmas Season Amid Covid-19

 


It seems Covid-19 has appeared as the ultimate and preeminent "Grinch" of this year's Advent and Christmas seasons.  It's easy, therefore to let external influences steal our joy but only if we let it. We may be meeting in smaller groups but at least we are still meeting.  My local church is open with only 1/3 capacity but there is no diminishing in the edification of hearing the Word of God and praying collectively with my brothers and sisters in Christ.




So what can we do to share the Gospel, show mercy and charity this season?  In seasons past, I would bring my Autoharp to the local hospital wards and nursing homes to play Christmas carols and hymns. While I can't do that this year, what I CAN do is play these songs in my own home.  Here's my book of Songs of Christmas for Autoharp which I am now transposing for piano. It allows Christmas music to project throughout the house and even my neighborhood.  I've never heard of a noise complaint for loud piano playing!  The point is even though I can not share my joy with the outside, I can indeed express it within.  Add to this, seek out community Christmas Giving Trees where you can purchase a requested toy for a needy child.  How about cleaning your closet and donating some warm clothes to others?  Maybe you might bring by a casserole or other food items to a neighbor who will be celebrating Christmas alone this year?



Let me encourage you even as I have been encouraged by Msgr. Peter of my local parish.  That is to ask God to bless and make fruitful your ministry despite the current environmental, political, or social situations.  I'll leave you with one of my favorite ministry verses from the Apostle Paul:

"Preach the word. Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine." 2 Timothy 4:2

No comments:

Post a Comment